As requested by listeners – Executive Producer Peter Ogburn’s homemade gumbo recipe!
This is the killerest gumbo ever.. It’s way rustic and frightens some people because it still has the bones… But it’s damn tasty!
– cut up a whole chicken
– take the breast off the bone
– dust with flour
– fry it in 1 cup vegeteable oil (or bacon grease) until you get some color on it, then take the chicken out.
– add 1 cup flour
– stir it on med heat… once it starts to color, drop it down to low-med
– stir that pot like there’s no tomorrow… takes a while.. you want that roux to be the color of chocolate. My grandma’s rule was “cook it until you think you’ve burned it, then cook it 2 minutes longer”
– once you get the color, throw in a cup of onion 1/2 cup celery 1/2 cup of green bell pepper or poblano. (I use poblano for the heat) and some garlic. This will make one of the most pleasant smells ever in your kitchen. Definition of savory.
– cook for 5 minutes, throw in some andouille sausage or kielbasa if you can’t find it.
– throw some chicken stock in to cover
– throw the chicken pieces in there
– drop the heat down and let that bitch simmer for 2-4 hours.. NOT boil…..Simmer.
– put it a bowl with some white rice, scallion and hot sauce on the side, and enjoy.