By a vote of 240-179, the House of Representatives passed a resolution of disapproval for Joe Wilson’s rude outburst on the floor of the House last week. Which is both good and bad.
Good, because Joe Wilson deserved it. But bad, because it should have been 434-1.
The fact that it wasn’t says more about the Republican Party than it does about Joe Wilson. Because, once again, Republicans have let the rudest, crudest, most unruly of their members represent their party.
There are no moderates left in the Republican Party today. At least, none who will speak out or stand up. Instead, the Republican Party today is defined by:
- Tea baggers who call President Obama a socialist and traitor
- Talk show hosts who call him a racist
- Town hall crazies who won’t let anyone else speak
- Phony protestors who carry racially-charged anti-Obama signs
- Gun nuts who show up – armed – at presidential events
- And Joe Wilson who calls the president a liar, violating long-standing rules of the House, and then refuses to apologize to his fellow House members.
The way it looks today, they should rename it the “Ugly Party.”
If I were a Republican, I’d be embarrassed.
That’s my parting shot for today.